Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

9mm 124gr Speer Gold Dots

I loaded up some 124gr GD's and my most accurate load was 5.5gr of Unique. 5.8gr wasn't quite as good but I'm sure it was a little faster (more velocity). My question is do you load for accuracy or velocity when loading a self defense round? (Unique was the most accurate powder I used. The other powders were CFE Pistol, Titegroup and Power Pistol)

Title
    Administrator
    Accuracy first then velocity
    I load them with AA#2 powder, and get the best of both worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I loaded up some 124gr GD's and my most accurate load was 5.5gr of Unique. 5.8gr wasn't quite as good but I'm sure it was a little faster (more velocity). My question is do you load for accuracy or velocity when loading a self defense round? (Unique was the most accurate powder I used. The other powders were CFE Pistol, Titegroup and Power Pistol)

Title
    Premium Member
    What Wes said. There's no sense having a fast round if its not accurate.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks Wes. I'll be loading them up with 5.5gr's then. They were shooting really well. One jagged hole right in the bullseye.

Title
    Premium Member
    There's truth in this thread, but let me add that velocity *does* matter when using bullets meant to expand! I'm not sure what velocity the Gold Dots need for expansion, but in my opinion, that needs to be taken into consideration.

When expansion velocity is achieved, then accuracy definitely is key! Expansion means nothing if you haven't hit your intended target!

I've had great results with Ramshot Silhouette and GD bullets for my 9mm loads...
    disciplejourney.com